302 504 4815

Call Us For Free Consultation


Can I Sue a Drunk Driver?

Law De > Blog  > Can I Sue a Drunk Driver?

Can I Sue a Drunk Driver?

Can I Sue a Drunk Driver?

After suffering personal injuries from an unexpected car accident, you could be facing expensive medical bills, lost wages, and car repairs. Dealing with this alone can be overwhelming. However, you may be able to obtain significant compensation if the car accident was caused by a drunk driver. There are multiple sources of compensation you can seek. Talk to a Delaware car accident lawyer to explore your legal options. 


Part of your legal options after experiencing injuries from a car accident is to file a personal injury claim with your insurance company. This involves sending as much information about the accident as you can to your claims adjuster. Your claims adjuster will usually tell you when additional information needs to be sent, but a lack of communication could be a sign of bad faith insurance.

Can I Sue a Drunk Driver?Some of the evidence you should send includes:

  • Pictures of the wreckage and your injuries.
  • Copies of your medical records.
  • Copy of the police report.
  • Other driver’s name and basic insurance information.
  • A written description of what happened.
  • Witness information (contact numbers, witness statements).

All of this information will be used to judge the accuracy of your claim. If the insurance company finds inconsistencies or a lack of evidence, they may not compensate you. This is when talking with an experienced lawyer may be able to help you obtain the compensation you need. 

A lawyer can help you prove negligence in the other driver by collecting evidence that the other driver was intoxicated and how this caused the accident. Doing this on your own is possible, but if you experience obstacles, a lawyer can help. With this type of accident, you can also sue the drunk driver directly to gain additional compensation.


Dram shop liability laws apply to sellers of alcoholic beverages. These laws hold sellers of alcohol like bars or liquor stores responsible for any damages suffered at the hands of the drunk driver they sold alcohol to. The reality is that many people do not fully financially recover after a serious car accident caused by a drunk driver.

Applying dram shop liability to your case can help you obtain further compensation to cover the financial losses you have left. However, the steps involved in this process can be complicated. Various factors will need to be proven like a direct link between the drunk driver and the alcohol seller. A link between these factors will need to be tied to the car accident and to your injuries. 

Collecting evidence may be difficult when these third parties, like alcohol sellers, do not want to cooperate in fear of being sued. This is when a lawyer can find legal ways around these obstacles. 


Organizing all the evidence after a drunk driving accident can often feel overwhelming. The good news is that a Delaware personal injury lawyer may be able to help you with this process. Call Edelstein Martin & Nelson at (302) 295-5050 for a free consultation today. We are located in Wilmington, Delaware. Our team of lawyers will work with you to earn the compensation you deserve. 

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.