Every year, people across the United States suffer due to the negligence of product manufacturers. When victims sustain life-threatening illnesses as a result of their negligence, it is crucial that they are able to hold them accountable and get justice. Whether you have been injured as a result of a dangerous drug or a defective product, a mass tort lawsuit can help you get justice and recover the compensation that you need to cover the medical expenses and other financial burdens you face.
The attorneys at the Law Office of Edelstein, Martin & Nelson are committed to fighting on behalf of victims who have been wrongfully harmed by negligent manufacturers. Our team is committed to fighting for the people rather than wrongfully protecting powerful corporations that do not value your health and wellbeing.
Our keen attention to detail, extensive resources, and dedication to helping our clients drive our team to provide the most responsive and effective representation imaginable. Contact our law firm today to schedule a case review with our mass tort lawyers as soon as possible to get started on your case.
A tort is defined as a wrongful act that directly causes harm to another person. A mass tort is therefore considered a wrongful act that harms several people. In most cases, mass torts are perpetrated by large companies. When victims sustain injuries, illnesses, and other damages from the use of a product or service, they may be able to sue the negligent party to recover compensation to help alleviate the financial burdens they face.
Mass tort lawsuits contain several plaintiffs that file civil cases against one defendant. These lawsuits all make similar claims about damages they endured due to the use of a specific product that is offered by the defendant. Mass tort lawsuits typically center on faulty products, medications, and medical devices. Although the claimants may have been affected in varying degrees from one another, they all share the commonality of being wrongfully harmed by a specific product or service.
We commonly hear people use the terms mass torts and class action lawsuits interchangeably. While it is true that both lawsuits involve multiple individuals who have been harmed by a negligent party, they are two very different types of claims.
Class actions: Class action lawsuits involve multiple claimants who are all part of one group that needs to prove that the defendant engaged in reckless actions. These claimants are all represented collectively. People who are in the class all experienced the same injuries and losses. An example would be several people filing a legal claim after being victimized by a data breach.
Mass tort: Although these lawsuits center on a specific product or service, and are filed against one defendant, each claimant files their own individual claim. People who take part in mass tort lawsuits commonly suffer similar injuries. However, the extent of damages is determined on a case-by-case basis.
In general, mass tort claims generally yield much larger settlements and verdicts when compared to class action lawsuits.
More claimants are filing mass tort claims after being harmed as a result of the use of products or services in comparison to class action lawsuits. These claims are preferred by victims of big businesses and governments because they provide various benefits to claimants. Combining your legal claim with others who have suffered similar damages due to the use of a product or service can help you by:
- Streamlining the legal process to reach a faster settlement or verdict.
- Allowing the application of arguments from multiple cases to be applied to every individual case.
- Building the strongest case imaginable for compensation due to being able to demonstrate the widest possible range of adverse effects of the product or service.
- Providing victims with the best chances of recovering full and timely compensation.
- Helping increase the chances of preventing future injuries to victims.
A mass tort claim can help you protect your legal rights and secure the compensation you need after being harmed. Contact the attorneys at the Law Office of Edelstein, Martin & Nelson to see how we can help you.
Examples of Current Mass Torts Include:
- After Belviq, a weight loss drug, was released to the public, the FDA determined that the drug could escalate the risk of users developing various types of cancer.
- For many years, women have used talcum powder only for it to be confirmed in 2016 that those women were 33% more likely to develop ovarian cancer when compared to women who did not use the product.
- 3M Earplugs were distributed to active members of the U.S. military for use during battle between 2003 and 2015. It was later found that 3M failed to notify the government that some of the earplugs were faulty, resulting in many service members losing or partially losing their hearing.
- Since 1996, millions of people throughout the U.S. have used the medication Elmiron for interstitial cystitis (IC). In 2015, researchers found connections between the use of the drug and the development of an eye disease called maculopathy.
- Originally marketed as a safe alternative to smoking cigarettes, JUUL e-cigarettes and vapor pods, created by JUUL Labs, were revealed to contain highly addictive nicotine. Lawsuits against JUUL Labs claim that the makers did not warn users of the risks that are associated with using their products.
- Although millions of people used Zantac to treat mild and serious heartburn conditions, studies found that the product was contaminated by N-Nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA). A recall of Zantac and other medications was issued by the FDA after NDMA was linked to various diseases in users, including liver cancer, testicular cancer, and liver disease.
- Sunscreen is one of the most popular ways to protect your skin and block the ultraviolet radiation associated with skin damage. Many people use sunscreen while outside in an effort to protect themselves against cancer. Although we rely on these products to prevent injuries, there are cases where people have suffered negative consequences from using products that were advertised as being safe and effective.
Every mass tort claim is evaluated individually. As a result, the potential awards you are able to recover can vary from recoverable damages for other claimants. Your specific losses will determine how much you are able to recover. Some of the most common damages victims recover in mass tort claims include compensation for:
- Lost wages from missing work due to injuries or illnesses
- Lost earnings from being unable to work indefinitely
- Past and future medical expenses for treating illnesses and injuries caused by the product or service
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Temporary or permanent disability
A skilled legal team will help you by evaluating the circumstances surrounding your injuries and illness and determine the most appropriate actions moving forward. It is crucial that you retain the assistance of a qualified and responsive legal team that will not only fight to protect your legal rights but one who will also advocate on your behalf to ensure your best interests are protected. Contact our mass tort lawyers as soon as possible to see how we can help you.
The attorneys at the Law Office of Edelstein, Martin & Nelson are dedicated to helping our clients get justice while handling even some of the most complex mass tort claims. Our team strives to help our clients get justice for the pain and suffering they have been forced to endure due to the negligence of manufacturers. We are committed to helping the people get justice from large corporations who negligently disregard their health and wellbeing.
Contact our personal injury attorneys today by calling (302) 504-4815. Our team is available to meet with you at your earliest convenience to discuss the legal options available for you.