302 504 4815

Call Us For Free Consultation


No-Fault Car Accident Insurance in Delaware

Law De > Blog  > No-Fault Car Accident Insurance in Delaware

No-Fault Car Accident Insurance in Delaware

No-Fault Car Accident Insurance in Delaware

Different states enforce different types of auto insurance. Delaware is a state that uses no-fault auto insurance as a way of compensating both parties despite who was at fault for the car accident. This can help people involved in an accident recover financially from personal injury costs, vehicle repairs, and related expenses. However, in some cases, this coverage may not be enough to cover all your losses after the accident. Consider contacting a Delaware car accident lawyer if you suffered severe injuries from a car accident caused by a negligent driver.  

What Is No-Fault Insurance?

No-fault insurance is a type of law that requires auto insurance companies to compensate their customers after a car accident, regardless of who caused the accident. While this guarantees some amount of No-Fault Car Accident Insurance in Delawarecompensation after an unexpected accident, this also limits how much compensation you may receive. You will only be covered by your insurance company to a limited degree. 

Part of no-fault insurance includes something called personal injury protection (PIP). This type of protection covers medical bills and lost wages, but only covers 2 years of these expenses after the day of the accident. Some claims adjusters will assign you a doctor to evaluate your car accident injuries, rather than allowing you to see your primary physician. In some cases, the doctor they send you to will say you do not need future treatment for your injuries. After this, compensation from your insurance company for medical costs will end, even if a different doctor says you need continued treatment. 

For some people with severe injuries that cause long-term impairments, this limited amount of compensation will not be enough. If this happens to you, consider talking to a lawyer about how you can seek additional compensation from the insurance company.  

Can I Still File A Lawsuit?

If the total costs of the damages you suffered from the accident exceed your PIP coverage, then the other driver’s insurance company may be liable for paying the rest of your expenses. You could also be eligible for additional compensation if you suffered severe injuries with pain and suffering or future lost wages due to significant long-term impairments.  

Seeking compensation from the other insurance company requires you to prove that the accident was the other driver’s fault. A lawyer can help you collect the evidence necessary to do this and can negotiate with the insurance company if they refuse to cooperate with you. When the other driver’s insurance company fails to cooperate with you or your lawyer, filing a lawsuit is often the next step.  


Consider hiring a Delaware personal injury lawyer if you suffered severe injuries that require long-term treatments after a car accident caused by a negligent driver. Contact Edelstein Martin & Nelson today at (302) 295-5050 for a consultation. We will work with you to collect evidence and build a strong defense for your claim. You can find us in Wilmington, DE. You may be eligible to receive additional compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and lost wages. Working with an injury lawyer early on in the process can be key for taking moving forward with your claim. 

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.