302 504 4815

Call Us For Free Consultation


What If I Was Injured at a Friend’s House?

Law De > Blog  > What If I Was Injured at a Friend’s House?

What If I Was Injured at a Friend’s House?

What If I Was Injured at a Friend’s House?

Accidents happen almost everywhere in life. When an accident leads to an injury at a friend’s house, you could be eligible for having your injury costs paid for. This can be a tricky situation for some people because of the risk of losing a friendship. However, your friend’s homeowner’s insurance might be able to cover these expenses so your friend does not have to pay out of pocket. Ask a Wilmington personal injury attorney for help if you have any questions.


An injury at a friend’s house can happen in a variety of scenarios. These scenarios range from slips and falls to tripping or being exposed to hazards. Some of these What If I Was Injured at a Friend’s House?scenarios will provide the opportunity to obtain compensation while others will not.

What allows people the option to file a personal injury claim for compensation are negligence and intentional wrongs. Negligence means your friend or property owner, depending on the cause of the accident, acted with carelessness or recklessness. This can look like a reckless decision or behavior. However, this can also look like a careless failure to act to prevent harm.

Intention wrongs are actions that purposeful and not by accident. For example, a friend who pushes someone off a patio and causes injuries to that person could be accused of an intentional wrong. Assault can sometimes fall into a grey area of whether the injury was intentional or accidental.

Premises liability claims are some of the most common types of claims filed when someone is injured at a friend’s house. Common examples of when to file this type of claim include slips and falls, tripping over loose objects, dog attacks, exposure to dangerous chemicals, and unsecured objects falling on people.


When it comes to obtaining compensation, you will need to prove negligence with evidence. For a premises liability claim, you may not be suing your friend if your friend is not the property owner. The property owner is the one held responsible for injuries caused on the property. You must prove that the property owner did know or should have known about the hazard that caused your injury.

For a personal injury claim, you will be filing the claim against the person who directly caused your injury, whether accidental or intentional. This means you must collect evidence that this person caused your injury and evidence of the injury itself.

Collect evidence by taking pictures of damages, obtaining copies of medical records, filing a police report, and collecting witness reports. Try contacting a Wilmington personal injury lawyer if you have further questions about this process.


Depending on what happened, you could have your injury expenses paid for if you were injured at a friend’s house. Feel free to call Edelstein Martin & Nelson by dialing (302) 295-5050 to speak with a Delaware personal injury lawyer for a consultation today. Our team of attorneys might be able to increase your chances of compensation for lost wages, pain and suffering, and medical expenses.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Call Email