302 504 4815

Call Us For Free Consultation


What to do if You Sustain Injuries in a Slip and Fall Accident

Law De > Blog  > What to do if You Sustain Injuries in a Slip and Fall Accident

What to do if You Sustain Injuries in a Slip and Fall Accident

Slip and Fall Injuries and What to Do About Them

Some falls can leave people with minor bruises while others can cause major injuries that take months to heal from. Missing work on top of expensive medical bills can make almost anyone fall into a financial crisis. You may not have to suffer financially if your fall was caused by the property owner’s negligence. Talk to a Wilmington personal injury attorney about what happened and find out whether you can sue.


Major falls can result in significant injuries that can leave people in recovery for several weeks. Some of the most common fall injuries involve broken bones and head injuries. The bones that tend to break the most during falls are the:

  • RibsSlip and Fall Injuries and What to Do About Them
  • Skull
  • Arms
  • Ankles
  • Hips

The height of the fall makes a huge difference in which bones are fractured and how severe the fractures are. Age also matters with older people suffering bone fractures more easily. It is not uncommon for people in these situations to suffer spine fractures with a high risk of a spinal cord injury.

Along with spinal cord injuries, head injuries can result in permanent damage that cannot be reversed. Spinal cord injuries can make someone become paralyzed for life. Moderate to severe brain injuries from severe falls can lead to lifelong problems with:

  • Memory and attention
  • Vision, hearing, or touch
  • Coordination and walking
  • Self-control and mood
  • Communication and speech

When people try to block the fall with their arms and hands, they can suffer soft tissue injuries. This can also happen if the ankles or knees are twisted the wrong way during the fall. Soft tissue injuries involve stretched or torn muscles, tendons, or ligaments that can cause:

  • Chronic pain
  • Difficulty moving or using the afflicted joint


You might be wondering if you can sue the property owner for your injuries. The reality is that this depends on two things:

  • How severe your injuries were
  • Whether the property owner can be deemed negligent

When it comes to filing a premises liability lawsuit, you must prove that you suffered physical bodily harm and the property owner was negligent. Almost any unsafe condition could make the owner negligent like:

  • Uneven footing
  • Loose wires
  • Slippery surfaces
  • Falling debris

However, the property owner must have not put up any warning signs or warned you about the hazard. The owner must also have known about or been expected to have known about this hazard. You may not be able to sue if you were trespassing.

Consider contacting a Wilmington personal injury lawyer to see what your legal options are given your situation.


You may not have to pay for the injuries you suffered from a slip and fall. All you have to do is ask a Delaware slip and fall accident lawyer about what your legal options are. Call Edelstein Martin & Nelson today at (302) 295-5050 for a free consultation. Our team of personal injury lawyers might be able to help you obtain compensation for your medical bills, pain and suffering, and lost wages.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Call Email